Wednesday, October 15, 2008

So I Caved (or lisa gets facebook)


I kind of hate to admit it but I've finally caved to the inevitable domination of Facebook.

Yep, Ms. B. got herself a Facebook account.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

So said THE BORG whenever they confronted life forms that tried to avoid being conquered. (So many life lessons were learned by watching Star Trek ;-)

I have valiantly resisted FB for over 2 years. Even the clever, persistent and sweetly persuasive Nelly could not get me to join.

So what did it?

England.

Dang it. We were there with almost 300 people in the 24-7 family and as we left that gathering I thought,

"I care way too much about way too many of these people to NOT opt in and make staying in touch that much easier."

It's not that I think FB is easier than email. It's more that I just have to join the current MO if I'm to have a hope in hades of having any hazy... (searching for an H word here. Nelly, what H word could be inserted for 'connection' or 'relationship' ?)

I'm not getting sucked in, (she said like a true addict.) But I do think having a new FB account is a little like having a new baby. It needs a lot of attention as it makes those initial steps of growth. At least you don't have to get up in the night to take care of friends requests.

I'm hoping it settles down and takes care of itself a little more now.

BTW, there is ettiquiette to follow if you're the parent of other FB users. First of all, don't be writing on their wall all the time. That's WAY out of line.

I got a land-line phone (that's a TELEPHONE with a cord that attaches it to the wall, for those of you who don't remember those) with my own number in my own bedroom when I was 16. It was the absolute height of communication technology.

That and passing notes in the hall.

I always loved passing notes.

Here we go, then.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I, for one, am so glad to see you on FB! It has been a lovely way to connect with my RVA buddies and many others who are miles and miles away. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

How about "hospitality-across-borders." I like to work those hyphenated words.

Good girl for joining the darkside of FB! Two years from now you can join Twitter, also.

Anonymous said...

oh now, look at you, Tweeting! amazing.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I'm going to go and make you my friend right now... plus I believe there are many good life lessons from Star Trek like a woman can rise to a prominent place of leadership if she has slick eyeliner and lovely hair, never trust people with wrinkly foreheads and eyebrows speak volumes when intimidating an adversary! xc

lisa said...

Tweeting but not very well. I updated my tweet and it vanished off of here but it did update the FB. I dunno.

lisa said...

Carla, maybe Sarah Palin is a follower of Captain Kathryn Janeway. Seems to be following those tips you mention.

I'll be looking out for wrinkly foreheads :-)

Rebecca said...

here's to another "fallen woman"!