Monday, March 02, 2009

Walking in Loita


We've been away for a week in the lovely Loita Hills.

There is something very magical to me about Loita. Maybe that's because our 10 years there mark the longest I have ever lived in one location. Or maybe it's just because it's so beautiful and hard to get to and far away and unspoiled. Alternately, it could be because I have very dear friends there who are now family or the fact that my boys grew up there. In reality, I know that it's a combination of all these things that makes Loita shimmer slightly in my mind.

Our trip was not uneventful. We stopped for lunch on the way up, climbing out into the dusty heat to stretch our cramped legs for a little while. When we climbed back in, the car said a simple no to starting. Happily, she push-started quite easily. Good thing because we continued to have to push start her after every stop for the next week. I didn't like the idea of being stuck out there, much as I love it, since we had to get my Dad to a plane on time upon our return.

Loita sings colors of blue of green
Her mist is soft and grey.
I like waking up to her mornings.

During our time there last week, we visited in homes and listened to the struggles of families who are dealing with a hungry season. These are difficult days for our friends.

We hiked for hours all up and down the slopes and in and out of thorny brush and under trees and beside streams. We were plotting some dens on the map with our Walking With Maasai friends who are studying the range of certain critters. We saw lovely forest secrets and sad forest casualties. I will be quiet, holding all those things in my memory.

It was good--so much more than good--to connect with friends there. We are encouraged and discouraged along with them as we share the realities of life there these 9 years after we've moved away.

So we are home in Arusha again, hearts quite full from a pleasurable week of working and walking in a prime showpiece of God's dear Creation. And while it's very nice to be home, I miss the depth of connection I feel with the Creator when I am there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new header!!! It's perfect. And I like that I can picture exactly where it is. Oh lisa your trip sounds so wonderful. I am happy for the fullness of that sacred place for you. I love the picture of you and byron too-- feet pictures are my favorite. "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news". mmm.

lovelove

Anonymous said...

I can't even conceive of a hungry season... Steve and I have cut back big time on our food bill in an effort to save some cash and that felt like a big deal until I thought about what a hungry season must be like there. The reality of our change is switching from organic meat to frozen cheap stuff. Exotic fruit and veg to cheaper staples. Brands to own-brands. Pathetic really... I think what you guys do is amazing.

PS - I love the new banner too :)