Monday, February 03, 2014

Coming Home to the Farm

We were away from Africa for two months.  It was enough time to do all we did.  Enough time to celebrate Thanksgiving, multiple family milestone's including my mom's 80th birthday, attend fundraisers, speak here and there, connect with donors, revel in family and marvelous friends, work toward a second son's wedding, engage in Advent, give poetry readings, meet with our Board of Directors, enjoy (and also struggle with) Christmas in America, and finally, wonderfully, to help throw an outstanding wedding celebration.

Careening out of those packed weeks...
I spent a few days in the UK and spoke 3 times, much enjoying the community and hospitality of all who hosted me.  Before finally getting home, I spent a couple of nights in Kenya, visiting Heather at school.  My last born and officially the youngest Borden to cross the globe "alone", she had rushed back to Africa after Trevor's wedding as her new term had already begun without her.

Finally, Thursday was Going Home Day... We woke to a dead battery in Nairobi.  We could roll a few feet and get it going, except at the border where we had to just keep it running as the two of us took turns dodging in and out of government buildings (filled with tired tourists) to get all our this and thats stamped and processed while relay teaming the guarding of the unlocked, running vehicle.  Riot police were gathered near the border because local people were protesting something.  The police advised us to wait half an hour.  Mt Meru had an impressive fire burning on the side of her.  Dry season meant the lower plains were blowing away and dust filled the air for miles and miles.  But, finally, were were home.

At a slightly higher elevation, the rain lily above greeted me on my Saturday walk.  I am told her proper name is Amaryllis Belladonna.  I startled a gorgeous male bushbuck as I climbed the bank to collect this sample.  The buck and I regarded each other gravely and I wished him health and safety before I went on.  A walk on this farm is a gift.

So is the rain lily.  She blossoms voluntarily after adequate showers.  She is fragrant and has graced our home with her perfume.

After so much busy, I am slowing down.  I am thankful to have the time to marvel over this bloom.

(Photo credit: Tait Flint)


Carolyn Duke Anderson said...

You really did have a packed couple of months! So glad you made it home safely and have some time now to reflect.

Christy said...

thank you for walking us though the reimmersion was a pungent clip of life in Tanzania as well as an unloosing of that veritable wave of so very similar memories...

Jenelle said...

Hello, Lisa. I loved this. Especially the part about getting your this and thats stamped. It was the best. I want to visit you. Love you.